A casino in Enid, Alright???.If an Indian tribe, worked through all the bureaucratic process while using Bureau of Indian Affairs and could build a casino in downtown Enid, will you be for or against it? If you live in Enid and occasionally visit other casinos round the state, you probably run into other people you know from Enid, partaking inside recreation given by the casinos. These are the same people who have left our town and therefore are spending their recreation dollars elsewhere. They are shopping in the stores, eating on the restaurants, and staying at the hotels in the area.
A brief history:
The ability to run bingo games was one of the numerous concessions created to tribes in Oklahoma. Then some very ingenious person developed a bingo game that seemed like a slot machine. We have seen small digital bingo card with the top corner with the display screen of the slot machine. From that invention forward, Oklahoma casinos begun to spring up everywhere. After all, you were still playing bingo, just in the new and technical way. Later, a gaming compact involving the tribes as well as the State of Oklahoma allowed the usage of Vegas style slot machine games, poker, and blackjack. Thus, bigger and casinos were built and therefore are still being built throughout Oklahoma.
A casino can only be built within historic tribal boundaries and after that placed in a trust with all the U.S. government. Since Enid doesn't have any casino, is the reason? Then upon researching Garfield County, Oklahoma via Wikipedia, it had been found, that ahead of the Land Run of 1893, Garfield County was named O County and was part from the Cherokee Outlet, occupied by the Cherokee people following a Treaty of New Echota as well as the Cherokee trail of tears. Historically, the location was a hunting ground in the Wichita, Osage, and Kiowa tribes. Does that qualify us being within historic tribal boundaries?
Positive aspects of a casino in Enid:
1. The revenues generated from casinos are come to operate tribal governments and programs because of its citizens. In addition, a portion of the revenue is split with all the State of Oklahoma.
2. Tribes utilize the revenues to further improve infrastructure.
3. Related tourist attractions are built.
4. Jobs are manufactured.
5. The added income and influx of tourists increase retail trade.
6. Promotes tribal economic development.
7. The casinos donate to local charities.
8. A survey of casino patrons found that over 80 percent in the visitors to casinos were considering also doing something other than gambling. So the casino becomes an anchor for other tourism attractions including family water parks.
9. The casinos create new lines of cooperative economic development between American Indians and non-Indian business owners.
10. Casinos supply a magnet for outside money that failed to previously exist.
11. Local resident who accustomed to travel outside from the area now stays within the region.
12. More construction jobs are created building casinos.
13. Gambling is an accepted method for governments to increase funds. It is seen as a source of money that is easier to obtain which is not a tax on individuals.
14. In several communities these businesses showed an surge in profits, attendance, and customers after an online casino came to their area:
a. Retail stores
c. Local arts and crafts shows
d. Hunting and fishing activities
e. Horse trail rides
f. Festivals and events had higher attendance
g. Movie theaters
h. Historical sites were visited more often
i. Scenic drives
j. Walking trails
k. Water parks
l. Biking trails
m. Roller skating
n. Fitness centers
Negative aspects of a casino in Enid
1. Tourism dollars hinge on what well the casino pays out. Winners may spend freely, but losers may return purchases and cut their hotel stays short.
2. For some gambling becomes a dependancy.
3. Gambling kills time, and subtracts from time spent on useful endeavors.
4. Locally-owned businesses go bankrupt because consumers have changed their expenditures to casinos.
5. Wealthy Indian gaming tribes pour millions of dollars into political campaigns at both state and federal levels. (Source: Special Investigation by Donald L. Barlett and James B,. Steele, Time Magazine, December 2002.)
6. Wealthy Indian gaming tribes can also be influencing gambling along with other policies affecting Native Americans by handing quite a bit to influential lobbying firms. (Source: Special Investigation by Donald L. Barlett and James B, Steele, Time Magazine, December poker online ohio 2002.)
7. In towns with casino's, there can be an increase within the following:
e. Domestic violence
f. Drug and alcohol addiction
What is Gambling Addiction?
Gambling addiction is called an action addiction. When gambling, the hormones, adrenaline and endorphins, are self-produced. As the person gambles more regularly, it results in tolerance to the adrenaline and endorphins, so that it takes more gambling far better stakes, to get the equal high. Recent studies show that video slot gambling fires up the human brain exactly as cocaine does. (Source: Stop the Casino 101 Coalition)
If a casino were to petition to find downtown Enid, what might be your opinion? Do you think it will enhance our community or bring social problems natural meats not want to cope with?